8/27/2012

Are writers worse off if they have an English degree?

I've really been enjoying the press coverage of the Edinburgh Book Festival, and it sounds as if there's some really interesting stuff going on, with a great line-up. Among the authors speaking at the event was The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time writer Mark Haddon, who apparently had this to say last week:


After a quick google search, I found out that Mr Haddon was speaking from experience: he graduated from Merton College, Oxford in.... English Literature. Perhaps if anyone went to see him speak, or have more insight into the context in which he was speaking, let me know. But I was... mystified. After all, I'd say about 90% of kids sat in Literature seminars have or have had writing aspirations. I went to the University of East Anglia, whose alumni include Ian McEwan, Kazuo Ishiguro and Anne Enright, and is stuffed to the concrete ceilings with novelistic and poetical talent; so it's possible I'm a little biast.
But it did lead me to contemplate what Haddon meant. And I came up with my own shoddy list of why an English degree could hinder writers (whether or not I believe it is a different matter.)

Your own work will never be good enough.

I can't even read a passage of Nabokov without feeling that sharp, sweaty pang of intense envy that the man can write better in his second language that I could ever dream up in my first. I can't imagine how it would feel to someone who must sit down at a desk, searching for words with every writer they've ever admired breathing down their necks.

You are hyper-aware of your reader.

A writer sitting down at their desk will more often than not have their reader's expectations weighing heavily on them. Every passage will be poured over and reworked for maximum impact (unless you're Jack Keruoac. No-one wants that.) And if you have an English degree, you'll read for meaning and possibility; you'll wonder, how will someone receive this? Will they get this reference? Oh god, what if it comes off as pretentious? What if someone will a poor grasp of irony gets hold of this.....THESE ARE ALL WASTED WORDS. Score through, start again, another cup of coffee. PANIC.

You've spent an ungodly amount of time reading THEORY

If you've done any Humanities based subject, just reading that line will provoke nausea. 'Theory', like perms, power shoulders and Bananarama had its hey-day in the eighties: and although its arguably done a lot more for the world than the aforementioned things, it's also generated some very bad things. 
For example, I once sat in a Medieval Writing seminar. We were all sat around, giving our reasons for taking the module. (Mine was, they made me do it, and I sulked all term.) One particular pain in the arse piped up, rolling-papers and tobacco in hand, with a smug expression: 'I want to explore the effects of post-structuralism on Geoffrey Chaucer.' Yes, some very bad things have come of theory. And Mr/Ms Writer BA(Hons) English Literature will be very aware of it, and of people like Monsieur Poststructuralist, who'll be smoking roll-ups, trying to impress girls with your novel in hand. 

I'd love to round up some of my fellow English graduates, and not-fellow successful writers like Zadie Smith, Philip Pullman and Martin Amis to get their take. And then, I'd hand over to Carol Anne Duffy (Philosophy), J.K. Rowling (French and Classics), and, if I could resurrect him, John Keats (Medicine), and get their take on it. 

What do you think? Are you a writer with a Maths degree? Are you an English Grad who thinks that Mark Haddon's talking rubbish?

(I think he is. I struggled with this article.) 


5 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed this post. It's nice to be reminded every now and then, especially when that insane and paranoid part of your head gets a hold of you, that you're not the only wanna-be writer worrying about your work.*


    *You shouldn't use so much alliteration, plus 'wanna-be' is a bit weak as a phrase. Also, aren't 'insane' and 'paranoid' a bit contradictory? Try harder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, brother of talented writer, who listens to Skrillex29 August 2012 at 05:56

    Though I did not hear Haddon, I believe you have hit the nail on the... your finger. "Your own work will never be good enough" is nearly the only reason because it encompasses most self-assessing reasons why an English-Degree wielding writer won't try publishing, if they ever manage to finish editing. Nearly, because anything else wouldn't be the fault of the writer.
    Hot beverage addictions, however, That head you've struck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My initial reaction is: "This Haddon bloke can go stuff himself." Mainly because, as a writer living the realities you've outlined every day, he's being really, seriously unhelpful. I've gotten my degree and now I've got my book in the works and the two do conflict far more than is actually productive. Nonetheless, I personally draw confidence from my BA (Hons) English Literature because it assures that while I may never be as good, I'll never allow myself to be downright bad.

    To your point about Theory though: the last sentence of the paragraph above was wholly theoretical. The truth of the matter is that the Lit degree does present a starting handicap of crippling fear and reverence that can, if unchecked, lead to the demise of perfectly good talent in the jaws of self-fulfilling prophecy. However, the end result is usually worth the heartache. For example: Rowling's Potter series (though thoroughly engaging) is more likely to be studied in Business & Marketing classes in future generations while Pullman’s Dark Materials trilogy was already an alternate on my own Uni reading list five years ago.

    In the end, I think it all comes down to the individual writer and their ability to cope with peer pressure, real and imagined, living or dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonya! Very well said - and your point about peer-pressure is spot on. I'd love to see some of your writing! x

      Delete